Fish Oil: How Much Can it Do For You? A guest post by Rachael Cherry
Fish is one of the most prominent of foods in nearly every diet or fitness plan. One of the major reasons is because of the amount of omega-3 fatty acids that are contained within. For those that don’t get enough fish in their diet, oil capsules are available. The amount of nutrients contained within these capsules can do more for you than you probably realize. What are some of the benefits to getting more fish in your diet?
1. Reduction of Inflammations – The omega-3s that are contained within fish have been found to decrease the body’s response of inflammations. This can also help in the prevention of such afflictions if taken regularly. Those that submit to various cardiovascular exercise and endurance training could greatly benefit from a regular dose of fish oil or adding more salmon and tuna to the diet. Although arthritis may still set in eventually, it could be greatly reduced if you have enough omega-3s coursing throughout your body.
2. Improving Nutrient Usage – Omega-3 fatty acids can help the body utilize nutrients more efficiently. This compound allows easier flow of nutrients into and out of the cell membrane providing a more efficient method for your body to assimilate vitamins and minerals. By taking fish oil capsules at the same time as a multivitamin, your body can maximize the effects of those pills.
3. Protecting You from Damage – Supporting the function of white blood cells, fish oil can help improve your body’s natural resistance to illness. In fact, the increased efficiency for your cells can maximize the effects of vitamin C allowing it to further eliminate free radicals in your body as an anti-oxidant – which can promote a resistance to injury during physical activities.
4. Brain Functionality – Omega-3 fatty acids have been linked to improved brain functionality. This is partly due to the more efficient use of nutrients in the body. As this compound supports anti-oxidants, free radicals are eliminated providing less damage to cells throughout the body including the brain. Coincidentally, this could also prevent such diseases as Alzheimer’s and others. In fact, fish oil supplements have been found by some to have therapeutic effects on children with autism.
5. Asthma Treatment – Since omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil supplements act as an anti-inflammatory, those suffering from asthma may be able to breathe a sigh of relief – no pun intended. Although preliminary trials are seeing a positive outcome as an alternative to medications, further studies are needed in order to develop a definitive answer to whether or not more fish could equal fewer medications such as albuterol.
6. Bone Density – The properties of the minerals contained within fish oil supplements can help increase the strength of bones. Thanks to the increased efficiency of nutrient use, those that are deficient of omega-3s were found to have more bone loss than those with normal levels. However, the body still needs a regular supply of calcium in order to be completely efficient.
With all of the beneficial properties fish oil supplements provides is it any wonder why these transparent yellow pills are in most multivitamin packs? Although the effects may not be instantaneous, increased consumption of these pills or the fish related to the product over time may have a profound impact in many aspects of your body. Eat healthier by including more fish and give your body a chance to operate as it was designed.
Rachael Cherry is a wife, mother, and writer who is passionate about helping connect families in need with high quality caregivers. She has taken that passion and put it to work through NannyPro, a respected online nanny referral service. Learn more by visiting @NannyPro on Twitter.